SALARY RANGE: $40,000 – $45,000 per annum
Full Time | Group Benefits | Profit Sharing
Canada’s largest provider of online student assessment and school improvement tools, The Learning Bar,
is looking for an individual to fill a position as a Marketing Content Writer.
This is a permanent, salaried position. Work schedules are driven by peak business needs and may be
adjusted as necessary.
The Learning Bar (www.thelearningbar.com) was founded in 2005 by Professor Douglas Willms and
colleagues. The Learning Bar specializes in the development of evidence-based educational systems aimed
at reliably informing educators and school administrators. Its flagship products include: the Early Years
Evaluation (EYE), an instrument designed to assess children’s developmental skills at ages 3 to 6; and
OurSCHOOL (formerly Tell Them From Me), a school improvement system that collects, analyzes, and
reports on factors that are known to affect student learning outcomes. The Learning Bar products are
currently used in over 250 school jurisdictions across six countries.
A member of The Learning Bar team, the Content Writer will work as an integral part of the Marketing
Department. We need an individual that can present ideas and concepts in a simple, straightforward
manner, create engaging content and entice our customers interest throughout the year. In addition to
coordinating the full life-cycle of content marketing and social media initiatives, the role requires a deep
understanding of the audience to be served in various geographic regions and the contextual realities
As you work on initiatives, you have the opportunity to internally collaborate with, lead, and learn from
leaders in research, development, sales, accounting, and the account management team. Establishing
daily and weekly goals for tasks and projects is expected but adapting to accommodate unexpected
requests is essential.
Standards of professionalism for this position are very high; you are developing content to promote the
leading school-survey company in Canada. This also means your efforts will benefit the education and life
experiences of students all over the world.
The incumbent is accountable to the Chief Marketing Officer.
Content Creation and Market Research
- Develop a deep understanding of our customers and what motivates them.
- Become actively involved in developing product knowledge of the existing and forthcoming
product lines at The Learning Bar.
- Extensively research pertinent market data in order to develop engaging content for articles,
education blog, stories, web content, case studies and social media. Ensure that content is
authentic, communicated with a consistent voice and messaging, and aligned with corporate
- Rewrite, paraphrase or write new content from existing in-house material.
- Create copy, edit and proofread content created by other writers and provide detailed
feedback if necessary.
- Consistently brainstorm and collaborate with the team for new ideas and strategies.
- Sort out workable ideas by a process of elimination and keep eliminated ideas stored for
- Maintain clear and concise vision, and connect with the audience while summarizing key
points and instilling confidence.
- Produce high quality work, paying careful attention to detail.
Digital Marketing (Social media, web content and SEO)
- When writing for the web ensure that content easy-to-understand, contains sufficient keywords,
is optimized for length and keyword density for search engine optimization.
- Ensure web page content is edited properly to increase on-screen readability.
- Use proper spelling, grammar and jargon-free verbiage to effectively deliver a message to an
- Liaise with members of the marketing, research and account success team to ensure a
coordinated, strategic and integrated approach to content creation for the website and social
- Develop, maintain and execute the social media editorial calendar to promote initiatives.
- Recommend weekly content for social media based on organizational priorities and ensure
social media corporate processes and The Learning Bar standards are met.
- Monitor, prepare and post responses to third-party social media posts by seeking advice from
The Learning Bar colleagues and Chief Marketing Officer.
- Manage and maintain monitoring and analytics systems to track social media, success of web
content campaigns and generate monthly report.
- Provide overflow task support to other marketing team members when required.
Skills & Qualifications Required
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Communications, Journalism, or Education is preferred.
- 3-5 years of previous work experience in the field of education is essential.
- 1-3 years Content Writer experience is preferred.
- Excellent overall writing skills in a number of different styles and tones.
- Great research, organizational, and learning skills.
- Comfortable with working as part of a team and independently.
- Positive attitude and be a problem-solver.
- The ability to lead meetings, collaborate with the other departments and synthesize the
- Familiarity with keyword placement and other SEO practices.
- Some experience with online marketing and lead generation.
- Knowledge of HTML, WordPress and Joomla would be of benefit.
- An understanding of formatting articles on the web.
Benefits and Vacation
You qualify for group benefits and company profit-sharing upon successful completion of a
probationary period. There are 15 days paid vacation plus paid sick leave allowance.
The Learning Bar’s offices are located in downtown Fredericton, a small, beautiful, historic city with
two universities, many cultural activities (including an excellent jazz and blues festival), plenty of
recreational facilities and activities, beautiful parks and an extensive network of walking trails.
Fredericton is well recognized for its exceptional quality of life. It also has a vibrant and rapidly
expanding knowledge industry sector.
Find out more about Fredericton at:
To apply for this position, please send your resume and cover letter in confidence to Shaun McBride
We will treat any inquiry or resume received as confidential, and will only be contacting applicants to
schedule an interview.